Friday, March 4, 2011

Forget about the billions of dollars, what are we gonna do on Sundays?

I've been reading about the ramifications of an NFL lockout, billions of dollars lost, draft day complications, no off season workouts, loss of time for new coaching staffs, etc... This got me thinking, while these topics are important, the real issue is, if there isn’t football what are we gonna do on Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays?!!

Now I know some women would be grateful to have a football free fall so their guy can complete his honey do list, but this gal is definitely NOT one of those women. Without football my Sundays would not be complete. I mean the thought of not getting to see the Peyton Manning-Dallas Clark reunion, or another defensive clash between the Steelers and Ravens, literally sends shivers down my spine. I look forward to watching the Super Bowl Champion Packers and Aaron Rodgers belt celebration, I want too see if the NFC West can send a team with a winning record into the playoffs, and of course we all want to see if Rex Ryan is indeed Nostradamus and correct in predicting a Jets Super Bowl victory (my opinion, he isn't but we'll have to wait and see).

Don't get me started on the idea of life without fantasy football. I lost in the semifinals last year by less than 1 point so I'm definitely motivated to win it all this year. That won't be possible if there's a lockout.

I don't believe we're gonna get to that point, but in case the owners and players need reminding please think about us, the fans, and what you're asking us to live without. There will be no appearance of Ed Hochuli's biceps, or sighting of Belichick's Patriots hoodie, we won't get to see if Matty Ice is still calm under pressure after last year's playoff loss, or if Marshawn Lynch goes into beast mode again!

Life without the NFL could make us nostalgic for the days of the Farve retirement saga or the debate over legal and illegal hits. In this time of uncertainty there are two things I know come fall:
1. The answer to the question, Are you ready for some football? will be a resounding yes
2. Even if there isn’t football we can all be comforted in knowing Rex Ryan will predict a Jets victory anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment